Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rest Days

After my great run on Saturday, the rest of the long Labor Day weekend wasn't quite as inspirational, exercise-wise.  I only got in a short 2.5 mile run on Sunday between installing a dimmer switch in my bathroom, making mac n cheese for a fireworks party later that night, and watching the Reds game with a friend.  I could have done a lot more physically, but time was a factor.  It really irks me when this happens, because of all the days that I can point to where I've had plenty of time and little motivation, here we had just the opposite.

Further irking me was that Monday became an unscheduled rest day. I unwisely decided to hardly eat anything all day on Sunday and drink my body weight in wine throughout the afternoon/evening. My bad decision-making, although it led to a super-fun good time with friends, resulted in me spending the whole day Monday laying around on my couch holding my head and asking for the room to please stop spinning.  Hence, the "rest" day.  While I've heard many experts say that people should take at least one rest day each week, in my opinion I really don't see the need for it.  Exercising every day has become a habit, and so unless I'm purposely doing a rest day to prepare for a big run or to heal from an injury (hangovers not included), I usually try to get at least a half hour to an hour of activity every day, even if it's just a brisk walk. So unscheduled rest days kind of throw me off now. 

I'd like to know, how many days per week do my readers typically work out?  Does this work for you or do you think you should be doing more or less?  And do you prefer to work out in the morning, afternoon or evening?

No comments: